Foreign key indexes on individual columns or multiple columns

From: Krishnaswamy, Ranganath <Ranganath.Krishnaswamy_at_blr.hpsglobal.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 02:29:15 -0800

Hi List,

        I have a table by name Benchmark_hdr with the following columns:

  BENCHMARK_HDR_ID    NUMBER        NOT NULL
  CALENDAR_TYPE     CHAR (1),
  UOM               VARCHAR2 (10),
  CALENDAR_PORT     CHAR (1),
  CUSTOMER_MOT_ID   NUMBER        NOT NULL
  RESP_PARTY_NAME   VARCHAR2 (10),
  FROM_EVENT        NUMBER,
  TO_EVENT          NUMBER,
  LAST_UPDATED      DATE

I have created foreign key constraints using the below commands:

  ALTER TABLE BENCHMARK_HDR ADD CONSTRAINT BENCHAMRK_HDR_CUSTOMERESP_FK  FOREIGN KEY (RESP_PARTY_NAME, CUSTOMER_MOT_ID)   REFERENCES XM.CUSTOMER_RESPONSIBLE_PARTY (RESP_PARTY_NAME, CUSTOMER_MOT_ID) ; ALTER TABLE BENCHMARK_HDR ADD CONSTRAINT BENCHAMRK_HDR_CUSTOMEREVENT_FK  FOREIGN KEY (FROM_EVENT)
  REFERENCES XM.CUSTOMER_EVENT (CUSTOMER_EVENT_ID) ON DELETE CASCADE; ALTER TABLE BENCHMARK_HDR ADD CONSTRAINT BENCHMARK_HDR_CUSTOMEREVENT_FK  FOREIGN KEY (TO_EVENT)
  REFERENCES XM.CUSTOMER_EVENT (CUSTOMER_EVENT_ID) ON DELETE CASCADE;   The foreign keys need to be indexed so that the child table is not locked when a record in the parent table is being updated or deleted. If the foreign keys are indexed the corresponding child record or records are only locked when the parent table record is being updated or deleted. In this context I would like to seek the advice of the list as to whether I should create indexes on individual foreign keys or should I create one or more composite index(es) on foreign keys? If I need to create a composite index on which columns should I base my index on? Could anybody advise me on this with the reasons for following that particular approach? Any help in this regard is very much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Ranganath

WARNING: The information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this message in error. Thank you.

Author: Krishnaswamy, Ranganath
  INET: Ranganath.Krishnaswamy_at_blr.hpsglobal.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jan 14 2003 - 04:29:15 CST