Re: perl timeout

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 19:43:57 -0800

Gee Dave, I know of a book that has scripts that already do this. ;)

Here's an untested bit of code to demonstrate.

   my $dbh;

   eval {

      local $SIG{ALRM} = sub {
         die "connection timeout\n";
      };

      alarm 60;

   $dbh = DBI->connect(
     'dbi:Oracle:' . $db,
     $username, $password,
     {
         RaiseError => 1,
         AutoCommit => 0,
      }

   );

   };

   # the alarm reset must be outside the eval{}    alarm 0;

I say untested cuz I simplified it a bit after lifting it from a script.

HTH, Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com