Replicating Replicated Data.

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:25:09 -0800

Some of our data is stored in Oracle databases dedicated to Peoplesoft. We have other databases which require a subset of this information. These other databases are not all on the same machine. They are either directly tied to physics experiments or they are subject to certification requirements from other third-party vendors. The separation is to prevent requirements specific to one database from affecting the upgrade of others.

Security's dream would be to have none of these databases communicate with our Peoplesoft databases, but they realize that won't fly. They have vouchsafed that one such server be capable. All other servers would get their data from this sainted one. If I use materialized views to replicate the data from Peoplesoft to the venerated server, any further use of matrialized views from that server to the others requires complete refreshes. It would seem the best course to use something other than matrialized views to get the data out of Peoplesoft. This method would use homegrown log tables so only the changed data would be replicated. I have done this to overcome the inability of Oracle to handle longs in materialized views.

I wonder however if I am overlooking something? Why does Oracle have the complete refresh restriction in the first place?

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jan 13 2003 - 18:25:09 CST