RE: Oracle 7.3.4 Real-Time Re-indexing - Additional Information

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:29:04 -0800

Conrad - I haven't used 7.3.4 in quite some time, so my knowledge is a little rusty. If you search METALINK, you will find quite a few issues with this command on various Oracle versions. I believe that the basic principle is the same - Oracle builds a new index in the background, syncs up any table changes that have been made since the index build began, then switches which index is being used for queries. I think I heard somewhere that the locking/syncing mechanism has been improved in more recent Oracle versions. Perhaps someone else on the list has some specific knowledge. The database doesn't need to be in exclusive mode, but common sense would be to avoid rebuilding when the table is being heavily modified. Once you complete, you can ANALYZE INDEX VALIDATE STRUCTURE just to be sure you don't have any problems.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Conrad Meertins
  INET: cmeertins_at_pinnacle-data.com

also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Conrad Meertins INET: cmeertins_at_pinnacle-data.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L