RE: Daramtically improve BCHR with a single statement

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:16:15 -0800

"How can you tell that you need more space in the buffer pool?"

...You can notice when this is true by observing summarized extended SQL trace (event 10046) data. If the LIO count for a session is small, but the PIO count is large, then you have the problem.

So, sure... Checking a session's BCHR is okay. Just don't try to maximize the BCHR before trying to minimize whatever it is that's consuming the majority of the session's response time.

I have learned that paying much attention to a *system*'s BCHR (or any other system-wide statistic for that matter) is a step that is prone to causing bad decisions.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:
- Steve Adams's Miracle Master Class, Jan 13-15 Copenhagen - 2003 Hotsos Symposium, Feb 9-12 Dallas

Author: Yechiel Adar
  INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il

Author: Cary Millsap
  INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com