RE: Re: BCHR Tuning

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 01:43:39 -0800

I personally find the turn the argument is taking rather dispiriting. I have, like everybody who has been working with Oracle for some time, used BCHR in the past (and queried X$KCBRBH and its twin, X$KCBCBH). To be honest, I even have had some quite interesting results - which I would get by other means today. I have later understood that buffer gets were indeed a superior yardstick - till quite recently some experiments with IOTs convinced me that in some cases you had much better results in terms of response time (what ultimately matters) with slightly more buffer gets and more physical reads than what you could achieve. We all want to close on those outrageously bad lines of code or, more subtly, that poorly thought process. There is more than one angle of approach, some people will swear by trace files, other by events and waits, others by V$SQL or simply by code review or listening to end-users ... I guess it depends on whether you are more at heart a closet SA or a cl! os!
et developer, and even in the later case whether you are a debugger artist or somebody trying to think globally; we are wired differently, all approaches may be respectable if taken with a pinch of salt. I would gladly say of Oracle tuning what my favorite author, Chamfort, says of love : "In love, everything is true, everything is false; it is the one subject on which one cannot express an absurdity."

The holy war BCHR vs anti-BCHR has a definite Swiftian smell.

My 0.02 euro.

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole