RE: dw report tool question

From: mantfield <mantfield_at_connexus.net.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:23:56 -0800

Joan

In that case, I would go with Crystal Analysis (possibly only Crystal Reports) and Crystal Enterprise, which can deliver the reports in any of Active X (IE or Netscape), JVM, HTML, Excel , crf (crystal reports files) or PDF. The reason for this being my obvious choice is that Crystal skills are easy to learn and readily available (there are pros and cons to that, as damagers or power ab-users with little knowledge can generate dangerous queries against large DW crucifying the database and host for eveyone else), but in your case you are talking arout 8,000 students for 10 years data, (possibly a few GB ?), which means that if one reports developer quits, it does not take someone else long to pick up from where they left off. If the SQL generated by the query is boneheaded, or you want to rewrite the SQL, it is easy to create a DB view of what you really want to show, and force the report to go against the view instead of trying to trick Crystal / Cognos / whatever into generating the optimal query to retrieve your data from base tables.

Also, report authentication (login access) is very simple to set up in Crystal Enterprise server, and I am all for simplicity.

Hope that was helpful. Regards:

Ferenc Mantfeld

Author: mantfield
  INET: mantfield_at_connexus.net.au