Re: RE : RMAN Repository

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 12:30:22 -0800

I do a cold backup of my repository daily.

Replication of it is not a bad idea, as Arup mentioned, though I haven't tried it myself.

Speaking of backing up the RMAN repository, does anyone back them up hot?

Seems to me that would not be a good idea.

Jared

"Ruth Gramolini" <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 01/09/2003 11:04 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: RE : RMAN Repository

The earlly versions of rman suggested that you put a 2nd recovery catalog in one of the databases you are using the "real" recovery catalog for. Then
you use this to record the backups of the recovery catalog database. I never headed this advice, altho I do use a recovery catalog for all production, developement, and test databases that I back up.

Ruth
  From: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com [mailto:Jared.Still_at_radisys.com]   Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 10:50 AM   To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com
  Cc: Orr, Steve

> The overhead of the repository database is more. With the initial
  releases of RMAN (EBU) Oracle was rightly
> criticized for the fact that you had to backup the database that holds
  information about the database you want to backup.
> Getting rid of this silliness seems reasonable to me.

  Why silly?

  It isn't any more silly than making a separate backup of the Veritas   Netbackup catalog.

  It's just a different level of abstraction.

  Jared

  "Orr, Steve" <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
  Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
   01/09/2003 08:45 AM
   Please respond to ORACLE-L

          To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

          cc:

  If you aren't using a repository all you have to do is make sure control   file backups are part of the routine. There are 2 ways to backup the   backup metadata: 1) the RMAN repository database; 2) backup controlfiles.
  Functionally and operationally they're pretty much the same. The only   things you can't do with controlfile RMAN/database metadata is: 1) use   previous "incarnations" of the database for recovery; 2) use database   stored scripts. No big deal as far as I'm concerned.   When RMAN first came out a separate repository database was a requirement.
  Subsequent releases added some functionality for using controlfiles. The   vulnerability of losing the repository or losing the backup controlfile is
  about equivalent. The overhead of the repository database is more. With   the initial releases of RMAN (EBU) Oracle was rightly criticized for the   fact that you had to backup the database that holds information about the
  database you want to backup. Getting rid of this silliness seems   reasonable to me.

  Steve Orr-man for RMAN,
  Bozeman, Montana

Author: Ruth Gramolini
  INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us