Re: Which session is killing performance?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:14:28 -0800

One simple, and often helpful, option is to query v$sess_io

Structure:

   sid,
   block_gets,
   consistent_gets,
   physical_reads,
   block_changes,
   consistent_changes

Look for any big numbers - if they are in physical_reads, the user may have been
hammering the filesystem, the other figures are indicators of CPU usage.

There is a package (at least, the Sep 1998 version of it) on my website which I use quite often. It takes snapshots of such statistics with a user-supplied time-lag between them, and then reports the differences. e.g.

    set serveroutput on size 1000000 format wrapped     execute performance_snapshot.session_io(30)

This would report i/o related work done by any sessions active in the last 30 seconds.

This gives a more immediate view of who is currently doing the work, as it eliminates people who have done lots of work in the past, but aren't currently doing much.

http://www/jlcomp.demon.co.uk/perf_p.html

is the starting point for the package.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis