RE: RMAN on NT

From: Spears, Brian <BSpears_at_Limitedbrands.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 08:24:54 -0800

Robert, I am scanning through your book now for the tape write error code and I don't see it. I look at the documentation

           and I cant tell which will arise due to the bad tape error. I am on the tail end of implementing RMAN on HP and

           trying to write some tolerance into the media write problems.

            When veritas hits a bad spot on the tape an Rman error comes out for it...but I have some difficulty

            duplicating that error for a number of reasons.

           Do you know what RMAN error code gets generated for the bad spot write error on the tape? It usually fixes

           it self so I want to code some tolerance for this error and the unix guys like me to mark the tape bad etc.

 Here is something I found some one does... Its on Sun but ...is this just skipping a tape..not marking it bad?

echo "1" > /usr/openv/netbackup/MEDIA_ERROR_THRESHOLD

This should cause Netbackup to freeze a tape after one failure.

--
Deron Johnson
 <mailto:djohnson_at_amgen.com> djohnson_at_amgen.com

Brian Spears Sr. Oracle Database Administrator Limited Brands Technology Services, Inc. Phone: (614)415-1398 Email: bspears_at_limitedbrands.com -----Original Message----- Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 9:19 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L My Oracle Press book, Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery was written using RMAN on NT and RMAN on UNIX. I had no problems using RMAN on NT at all. Of course, there are a number of MML vendors out there and I only used one, so I can't speak for the effectiveness of the others. RF Robert G. Freeman Technical Management Consultant TUSC - The Oracle Experts www.tusc.com 904.708.5076 Cell (it's everywhere that I am!) Author of several books you can find on Amazon.com! -----Original Message----- Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 5:49 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Hello All, I have been relying on RMAN as the primary backup solution in a relatively large corporate environment for the past three years. We have been running it on our Unix platforms for versions 8.1.6, 8.1.7, and now 9.2.0. I frequently provide advice on RMAN to local DBA's. I was recently asked if I would have any reservations about utilizing RMAN on NT. I do not have any oracle running on NT, so I would greatly appreciate it if you could share any experience you have had on NT that would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your thoughts, -Ron Yount- Lead Oracle DBA Enterprise Rent-A-Car -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Spears, Brian INET: BSpears_at_Limitedbrands.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).