RE: Orawomen

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 07:29:49 -0800

Rachel, the "girls are not called upon" nonsense is debunked by the graduation rate of girls vs. boys in high school, and the number of women earning degrees. It is not unusual to have an extroverted lad dominating a class room; however when at the end the female members of the class will on average have better marks and a better understanding of the subject matter than the male members. It is not unusual in math to have the very top performers to be male, but again on average the girls do better than the boys.

How should schools encourage girls to consider science or math, doesn't that come from within? Is it the guidance counselors? I dare say they have rained ruin on as many boys as girls. Are the teachers saying to the girls with a keen interest in math, "You'd be better off learning to iron clothes than being able to perform LaPlace transforms?

I would guess there are numerous outside factors which discourage women. One is indeed that the fields are often male-dominated. Cracking a homogenous group can be very difficult indeed even if that group is not hostile to the "infiltration". Another is doing something different than your peers.

I expect you'll be pleased to know that one of our assistant directors is a woman. She leads our Research Division. A position which includes the responsibility of deciding what science is performed here. Our computing and networking efforts also fall under her purview.

I also see many daughters following in their fathers' footsteps. They are assuming the same positions that their fathers held twenty some years ago. From this group and the other women scientists, will come future directors and future Nobel Laureates. It takes time but the progress is steady.

Ian MacGregor

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU