RE: Orawomen

From: Brian Dunbar <Brian.Dunbar_at_Plexus.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 06:44:44 -0800

Just asking .. I'm told that the number of "Americans" (by which I mean kids born in the States) entering technical fields of all types is declining. Could the decline of the number of women in IT entering IT be a part of that trend?

For that matter, I wasn't really called on much in school (and glad for it, I wasn't usually paying attention), nor did my teachers encourage me that I can recall for anything in particular. Yet, here I am, earning a living doing computer stuff.

If 'girls' (or boys, see para 1) aren't encouraged in technical matters, perhaps it's a problem beyond the scope of an overworked and underpaid teachers? Please note, I speak as a father of six and the husband of an (former) educator.

~brian