RE: Orawomen

From: Farnsworth, Dave <DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 05:39:19 -0800

I like geek girls!!

Dave

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 7:09 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Dennis,

I think that the article is correct that girls and teens are sensitive to the "geek stigma factor". Even in our 10-year-old Girl Scout troop, the girls are already concerned about their images and not being too "dorky". We have many more girls vote for activities involving animals and crafts than activities centered on math and science. The votes are usually about 8 to 1 with only one or two girls voting to do the math or science activities. Pretty sad, especially considering that the Girl Scouts organization tries really hard to push those technical and math/science programs and make them interesting and fun.

The 25% number cited in the article for women in the IT sector seems pretty close to the number that we have show up at our local Oracle User's Group meeting. I think that the participation by women in our user's group has increased steadily in the last 10 years.

Perhaps more women are drawn to database work than IT in general as it tends to be more administrative than say, programming.

I'd also have to say that in many cases, being an Oracle DBA can be pretty grueling for those with families and for women with families in particular.

Cherie Machler
Oracle DBA
Gelco Information Network

                    DENNIS WILLIAMS
                    <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFE       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    TOUCH.COM>            cc:
                    Sent by:              Subject:     Orawomen
                    root_at_fatcity.co

                    01/07/03 05:11
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

Recently this list had a discussion of female Oracle DBAs. The consensus was
that the numbers were increasing, which I view as a good thing. Here is an article with industry statistics saying that the number of women in IT is decreasing. http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/1564501 Any theories?

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  INET: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com

Author: Farnsworth, Dave
  INET: DFarnsworth_at_Ashleyfurniture.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 07:39:19 CST