RE: Long-running PL/SQL function (long)

From: Jamadagni, Rajendra <Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:19:49 -0800

Cherie,

Bulk inserts/selects are available since 8i ... Not being sarcastic but sorry to disappoint you, but your developers haven't used anything new that wasn't in 8i ... you can give them the bad news ..
(if you want.)

I think bulk operations will be useful, but you'll have to watch for the memory usage as well, I'd probably process data in chunks of couple of thousands. In or around 8i, pl/sql tables used to leak (I mean really leak) memory after the row length reached a specific length. Also modeling a pl/sql table but using table%rowtype used lot more memory than if it was based on a record etc.

Try it, you'll probably like the results ... I seem to remember of some issue with bulk operations on a remote database, but you can always populate a local table and import/export. I it will be faster than all the operations across db link.

Keep us posted though ...

Raj

Rajendra Jamadagni MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.

QOTD: Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art!

Author: Jamadagni, Rajendra
  INET: Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com