RE: Help with Import

From: Jamadagni, Rajendra <Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 11:44:04 -0800

Dennis,

We do almost the same thing that you described.

We have a 140G database. Everyday we *clone* that production database and call it 'DAYOLD'. This database is used by app support to investigate data related issues and bugs. But a day before release, we run *all* scripts sent in by developers on this database. It they fail on dayold database, the whole request (and any dependencies) are pulled from the release, if not fixed within 30 minutes from reporting.

It has been working very well for us for more than 8 months. We clone 4 such databases of varying sizes everyday. These usually get refreshed after the hot backup on the specific database. The cloning process (and locking down of schema and scrambling of sensitive information is part of cloning) is usually finished by 5:30am except Sunday.

Yes, and we use the same script on production ... with different passwords. What do you do for multi-schema releases? We change passwords of all schema to a known value and put "conn blah/blah" like statements in the script that calls all developer supplied scripts. Once the release is complete, it re-sets all passwords back to what they were, and fires a compile_all script to fix all the invalid stuff.

Raj

Rajendra Jamadagni MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.

Author: Jamadagni, Rajendra
  INET: Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com