Re: Buffer Pool Testing

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 02:15:24 -0800

At a high level, I think the various pools operate in pretty much the same way - but there are some differences, some of which may be affected by various hidden parameters.

For example, Steve Adams has this note (dated Oct 2000) on his website as one of several observations on the 'new' LRU mechanism. Some details may have evolved since then, of course, but it is a good indication of how the pools can be "the same, but different".

<quote>

    By default, the KEEP and RECYCLE buffer pools do not have a hot region,

    but this can be changed by setting the _db_percent_hot_keep and     _db_percent_hot_recycle parameters to non-zero values.     Otherwise, the RECYCLE buffer pool has exactly the same LRU     semantics as the DEFAULT buffer pool - it is only the name that     is different - and the KEEP buffer pool differs only in that buffers

    read for long table scans are cached just below the hot region     rather than at the LRU end and consistent read buffers are immediately

    frozen.
</quote>

Regards

Jonathan Lewis