Re: Re: Free Shared pool memory

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 11:05:12 -0800

It is often the case that Telecomms companies end up with a very large SGA. 3Gb does sound a little suspicious - but it would be silly to judge it without knowing more background, such as total number of users, number of applications embedded within the database, number of CPUs, nature of work, quality of code. And, of course, with 8.1.6.3 it is possible that the memory is being "wasted" to work around some bug with shared SQL handling that might be such an unusual bug that only that particular company has come across it.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon a new one-day tutorial:
Cost Based Optimisation
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____England______January 21/23

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: 02 January 2003 18:05

Jonathan Lewis,
Hi, lewis,have you ever see any big system with large shared pool size? This week I saw a mobile telecom system running ops 8163, have 8GB sga, with 3GB of shared_pool_size and About 5GB of data buffer.(Physical memory is 16GB)
I never configured a system with shared_pool_size larger than 200MB(my current system is 200MB).But that oracle is installed by oracle china, so i wonder if this kind of configuration is reasonable? I do not have enough time to analyze that system, but I do not think Oracle china is giving the customer the right parameter about shared_pool, can you give your opinion?
Thanks.

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk