Re: Free Shared pool memory

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 06:44:15 -0800

Sorry for being so vague, but sometimes I can't help it...

It was my understanding in the Oracle7 days that the name of the statistic "free memory" was actually a verb and a noun (i.e. as in "free Nelson Mandela" or "free Willy"), and the number shown alongside this statistic was the cumulative number of bytes freed in the Shared Pool. In other words, every time "N" bytes were freed from the Shared Pool, then the statistic was incremented by "N". At least, this explanation would have accounted for the absurdly huge numbers seen in the V$SGASTAT view for this statistic in those versions and the unreliability in attempting to add the numbers seen in V$SGASTAT to sum to SHARED_POOL_SIZE...

Then, sometime in the Oracle8 or Oracle8i timeframe, the meaning of the statistic was changed so that the term "free memory" became what everyone had thought it was, an adjective and a noun (i.e. as in "free beer" or "free time"). A much more useful statistic, certainly...

Is this true? If not, is it close?

The sum of the information in V$SGASTAT still does not add to SHARED_POOL_SIZE, though (query from v8.1.7.4.0 shown below):   SQL> select name, bytes from v$sgastat     2 where pool = 'shared pool';

  NAME                            BYTES
  -------------------------- ----------
  free memory                  18208352
  miscellaneous                 2378964
  DML locks                      120000
  PLS non-lib hp                   2096
  trigger inform                    944
  PL/SQL MPCODE                 1146204
  PL/SQL DIANA                  1223360
  PX subheap                     123476
  db_block_hash_buckets         1411080
  sessions                       377300
  KGK heap                        48124
  State objects                  267420
  message pool freequeue         124552
  Checkpoint queue               885168
  enqueue_resources              222912
  db_files                       370988
  KGFF heap                      649844
  KQLS heap                     1709904
  dictionary cache             12670280
  table definiti                   3228
  transactions                   171264
  ksfv subheap                     4248
  fixed allocation callback        1280
  library cache                89490788
  simulator trace entries        240000
  sql area                    187432036
  table columns                   19520
  processes                      123380
  partitioning d                 152976
  db_block_buffers             10880000
  event statistics per sess      607600
  sum                         331067288

  SQL> show parameter shared_pool_size

  NAME                TYPE    VALUE

  shared_pool_size string 314572800

I'm curious about the 16,494,488 bytes difference. Is it possible that V$SGASTAT is another "unlatched" data structure in memory, allowing errors in the interest of eliminating contention? There are other similar structures in the SGA (i.e. the data structure underlying table MONITORING statistics later flushed to SYS.TABMOD$)...

Thanks for any and all insight!

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com