RE: How do I get the Physical Reads

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 06:53:51 -0800

Jai - I'm no expert in this area, but maybe I can help a little, and maybe that will help you refine your question for the people that are truly expert in this area. You are correct that Physical Reads is the number of blocks Oracle requested from the O.S. That is as far as Oracle can see. To go further, you must look to the O.S. side. The information available there is first of all O.S. dependent, and you didn't specify your O.S. Next, it is dependent on your I/O system configuration. For one thing, unless you are using raw devices, the O.S. may do a little caching and buffering itself. Then your I.O. system may have a cache of its own. Depending on your O.S., there will be a command (such as iostat in most Unix varieties) to track I/O

usage. I haven't found a block-for-block match between Oracle's statistics
and O.S. statistics. But I have usually been able to get some correlations
going. When Oracle says it is performing a lot of I/O, the O.S. also shows a
lot of I/O.

    Oracle may not be the only application that is running on the system. If Oracle says it is doing relatively little I/O, and your disk system is smoking from all the activity, you might want to check that out.

    But the really important thing to consider is the fact that for most systems, you have more than one I/O device. Hopefully you have several. There are other parts of report.txt that show the I/O to each file. That can help you balance the I/O load between devices, which is your real objective.

    And finally, I would recommend that you investigate STATSPACK. Utlestat only works well with Server Manager (svrmgr) because of the way it formats report.txt, and once you upgrade to 9i you don't have Server Manager anymore.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com