Re: db_files and file descriptors on solaris7

From: Shaleen <shgarg_orafaq_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 11:49:47 -0800

Found following on metalink but this does not explain why we never saw the message when we were running on 64 descriptors and 200 files

file descriptor limit. Tune your system to increase this limit to avoid severe performance'

The OS file-opening limit should not be greater than number of files Oracle opens. That is determined by the following

db_files*2 ( twice for equal number of temp files to be opened) + 2* maximum_no_of_log_files_simultaneously_opened + maximum_number_of_controlfiles + safety_margin_for_misc_files (like trace . etc. minimum 32 )

If this is greater than OS Limit , message is flagged and file descriptors are recycled. In your case the calculated limit would be 4000*2 + 2*8 (assuming) + 8(assuming) + 32 = 8056 Since 8056 > 4096 the message is shown. Try a value for db_files, which is little below than ½ the OS limit . Thank you
Giridhar

  All,

  Yesterday we increased db_files from 200 to 500 and recieved following message in alert log.

  Oracle instance running on a system with low open file   descriptor limit. Tune your system to increase this   limit to avoid severe performance degradation.

  Our file descriptors is set to 1024. Reducing db_files to 400 did not give this message. Interesting thing is that we increased file descriptors very recently from 64 to 1024. Does anyone have more information on this?

  Thanks
  Shaleen

Author: Shaleen
  INET: shgarg_orafaq_at_hotmail.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Dec 31 2002 - 13:49:47 CST