RE: Distributed Option

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 07:33:45 -0800

Michael - I don't claim to be a replication expert, just read enough on the subject to avoid going in half-cocked. One thing I have read from the experts though is that any time you have the same data in multiple locations and try to keep it current, you are performing data replication. The tool you use may be home grown, a part of Oracle or another database vendor, or purchased from a third-party vendor, or not even performed at the database level (like the app server, for example). But the problems faced are the same either way, issue like frequency of synchronization, how to resynchronize when everything goes wrong, and it WILL go wrong.

   Back to your message, do you still have a question and I'm so slow on a Sunday morning I missed it, or do you have the information you need? If installing the distributed option into 7.3.4 is not feasible, you may want to review the 3rd party tools. A popular one is Quest Shareplex, but I believe it replicates entire rows which may not meet your requirements. Could be a good time to push your management to upgrade to a more modern Oracle which would give them more built-in replication capabilities.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com