Re: Row Migration

From: Jack Silvey <oracle-l_at_warehousedba.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 00:13:41 -0800

Larry is the SQL guru. Every time he drops a pearl of wisdom like "we really want to make sure all the not-null columns are identified because it can affect the ability of the optimizer to transform a corelated IN subquery into an equi-join, and allow us to drop this index now that we won't need it for a correlated lookup, which will force all of our queries to rip through this table using hash joins" I wonder how the heck he KNOWS all that stuff.

I THINK it is just pure brains, although sometimes I suspect he has a deal with the devil ... or Larry Ellison.

:>)

Jack

> don't feel too sheepish, I didn't know it either. Larry is the SQL
guru
> and I bow to his knowledge. and had already saved off this email as
> this sort of update is something we do often and I ALWAYS have
problems
> figuring out the correct SQL :)
>
> rachel
> --- Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com> wrote:
> >
> > Geez, I didn't know you could do that.
> >
> > Sheepishly,
> >
> > Jared
> >
> > On Friday 27 December 2002 03:38, Larry Elkins wrote:
> > > Someone asked in a back channel email if parallelism is used. The
> > select
> > > portion of the update statement uses parallelism (though the
> > updates
> > > themselves get serialized) through the use of an in-line join
> > update (to
> > > avoid the second sub-query commonly used to constrain the rows
> > being
> > > updated):
> > >
> > > Update (Select /*+ parallel hints */ ....
> > > From a,b
> > > Where a.key = b.key)
> > > Set a.col1 = b.col1,
> > > a.col2 = b.col2