Re: LMT- Migrated tablespaces

From: Mogens Nørgaard <mln_at_miracleas.dk>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 23:44:17 -0800

The paper by Juan Loaiza ("How to stop ... and start...") is not really relevant or useful for LMT's. The 160 thing should really have been 128, but was rounded due to the allocation algorithm. With LMTs that algorithm is not a problem anymore, so more "sensible" extent sizes should be used.

Also, the whole thing with many extents, etc. was an issue when dropping DMTs, but nothing else. And it's completely gone with LMTs. One of my guys - Johannes Djernes - ran a test where he first created a 60.000 extents table and dropped it (took about 2 seconds), then a 180.000 extents table and dropped it (took about 6-7 seconds).

It's of course all a matter of opinion, but I like the LMTs with a uniform extent size. And then I don't much care what extent size it is, but it would typically be a factor of 64. The auto allocate stuff doesn't appeal to me, I must confess. I like the same extent size all over.

Mogens

Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mogens_N=F8rgaard?=
  INET: mln_at_miracleas.dk