RE: Row Migration

From: Larry Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 16:53:38 -0800

So I'm doomed? ;-)

Ok, so how am I going to know which block it went to, the first step towards seeing if it was relatively nearby or maximum scatter? I'm guessing I would have to dump a block and look at the "placeholder" or "stub" in the original location and see where it points (I'm assuming it has to)? Just conjecture and the first thing I would think of since I can't think of any DD view or X$ that would tell me where a row migrated from/to.

And I'm not so much concerned about the extra LIO's and latching at this point since I'm focused on the impact of a row migrating during an update. And don't think we will allow migrated rows in the table (though one might make a case for eating a few migrated rows for the sake of a significantly reduced number of blocks). But over time, this sort of update *will* eventually happen to all the rows anyway, so we would be looking at the higher number of blocks somewhere down the road. But it's all irrelevant now anyway since both the staging table and it's "real" counterpart in the DM were both re-orged with a pctfree of 40 (found that out this morning). I'll still need to keep an eye on migrating rows, but I'm not going to allow a handful of them make us go overboard on pctfree and "wasting" a lot of space.

Not that I'm asking you to do our work, but curious what are the things and considerations *you* would consider in building such a test case?

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net
214.954.1781