RE: Row Migration

From: Larry Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 16:38:40 -0800

John, the $10 is on the way ;-)

Right now I'm looking at the impact of rows migrating due to updates expanding the rows. So I was considering fetch row continued as opposed to analyze .. list chained rows (my first thought) before and after the update. To know how many rows migrated due to the updates, I could do a parallel fts prior to the update and record this number (or insert all the stats into a holding table). And then after the update do it again. The delta should give me the number of rows that migrated, and would probably be much faster than the analyze list chained rows (or a compute and looking at the chain_cnt) since I could use parallelism. And then was definitely looking at using this on both the staging version of the table and the production copy from a query perspective.

But my entire test fell apart ;-) The table, both the staging and the "real" in the DM, without my knowing it was going to occur, was rebuilt with a pctfree of 40 overnight on Thursday. So I don't have a baseline to do a before and after comparison to gauge the impact of the rows migrating during the updates. It doesn't look like the process ran again after that. The person who wrote it is on vacation, and the person watching it is off on Fridays. And they are migrating that instance and domain to a new domain on a new machine this weekend, so I don't really see anything happening with this, at least not this weekend.

But I did do a quick and dirty test. Slammed 1,000,000 rows into a two column table with pctfree of 0, with the second column null. Then updated the second column and got a timing on it (all the rows migrated). Then dropped, recreated, and repeated with a very high value (95) for pctfree. The update finished 4 times faster. Didn't do any detailed analysis or stats gathering -- just thought I would put together a quick and dirty. I would still like to put together a test that more realistically mimics the "real" case.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net
214.954.1781