Re: unable to create stored outline for sql inside a procedure --

From: Vladimir Begun <vladimir.begun_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 00:43:43 -0800

Shaleen

Def.Rights:
Roles can be enabled or disabled -- an unit must not be dependent on the enabled/disabled roles. There is nothing bad to have such design. This design is well thought, IMHO. At least at it's [was] consistent [on the moment of its invention].

Inv.right
Due to the context switching inv.right program units are a little bit (simplified) more expensive to be managed than def.rights. Such units require some more development efforts and accuracy (internal/external names).

 >>> 2) To take care of this problem invokers rights facility  >>> was introduced. Then why this restriction on roles.

The advantage is reusable and manageable code but not just the problem with roles. Def.rights units have their advantages too -- the biggest one, IMHO -- no 'context switching'. Stored Java stuff is also based on inv.right facility.

Kind regards,

--
Vladimir Begun
The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and