Re: Row Migration

From: Anand Kumar N <anand_at_fps.itwsignode.co.in>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 00:08:48 -0800

yes, row migration will degrade the performance..

  Listers,

  8.1.7.4 64 Bit Solaris

  Does row migration utilize DB File Sequential Reads on the table? Off the   top of my head I would expect so, but I've never tested something like that   before.

  Trying to figure out if row migration is the cause of the slowdown in a   package (well, it's probably slowing it down, just trying to gauge the   impact). PctFree is 10, and new feeds contain lots of elements that had been   empty before. As a result, a very large number of rows are being updated   with the new info being applied, effectively doubling the row length. Would   certainly expect row migration to occur. When running, execution time has   quadrupled, and we see significant waits on DB File Sequential Reads, with   the file/block values and dba_extents indicating the table, not an index.   The working idea at this point is that all those DB File Sequential Read   waits on the table are possibly related to rows being migrated. Anyone   tested for this?

  We will be building a test case on Friday. One with PctFree 10 and the   columns being updated having nulls. Will gather the waits, before and after   sesstat's, analyze list chained rows, both before and after, total blocks,   rows per block, etc. Then rebuild the test having a PCTFREE of 50 and do the   same thing. Some wildcards -- with the blocks less tightly packed, we will   have to visit nearly double the number of blocks (maybe offset by   migration), contention, and various other things to take into account. But   the main thing we are focusing in on is if we continue to see the db file   sequential read waits on the table. I guess the fact that we are seeing   waits is indicative of some I/O contention, but trying to determine if, and   how much, of that I/O is due to row migration, in which case a larger   PCTFREE could provide some more immediate relief. No FK/PK stuff, unique   index is there, but it should resolve uniqueness using the index, not the   table. Maybe have left some things out. This came up a few days ago, but   just really started thinking about it and digging into it. And the end   result is we don't want migrated rows, just looking to see if the row   migration is the primary cause of the performance downturn.

  Regards,

  Larry G. Elkins
  elkinsl_at_flash.net
  214.954.1781

  --
  Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net   --
  Author: Larry Elkins
    INET: elkinsl_at_flash.net

  To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message   to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in   the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L   (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may   also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Anand Kumar N
  INET: anand_at_fps.itwsignode.co.in

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Dec 27 2002 - 02:08:48 CST