RE: ALTER TABLE MOVE command causes table to grow

From: Miller, Jay <JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:20:42 -0800

Just wanted to follow up on this in the unlikely event that anyone was still wondering.

In retrospect it seems likely that what caused my table to grow while doing the Alter Table Move was the same thing that was causing my problem with new extents being claimed when there was lots of space available in the freelist (same table).

When the move command was issued I'm guessing that for some rows Oracle couldn't find a block on the freelist after the first 5 tries that had enough space for the next row and therefore grabbed another extent.

I'd guess this table is much larger than it needs to be just now. Once we upgrade to 9i this tablespace is a definite candidate for an increase in blocksize...

Jay Miller

Author: Miller, Jay
  INET: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com

Author: Karniotis, Stephen
  INET: Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com

Author: Miller, Jay
  INET: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Dec 20 2002 - 14:20:42 CST