RE: Row cache locks on INSERTs with a sequence

From: Thomas Jeff <ThomasJe_at_tce.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:20:41 -0800

Thanks for the replies.

And, good guess Jonathan.

We've already made some changes to the stored procedure implementing the INSERT statement.

Upon investigation, I found that the table involved is used as a staging table in a
batch process. Instead of truncating the table at the start of the load process, they
were performing a DELETE. The table had 0 rows, was 38MB in size, and had 300
extents. The index underlying the PK constraint on this table had 632 extents.

In addition, looking at the code and table design, found that they did not need a sequence at all. The column utilizing the sequence was simply a dummy number
not involved in defining any keys in the live table. Merely using an internal
counter in a PL/SQL loop would have sufficed.

Nice. The developers were adamant to management that the DBA team was at fault,
did not know how to manage the database, etc; and now they are skulking in the
corner avoiding us.

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author: Thomas Jeff