Re: RMAN datafile allocation to channels

From: Keith Moore <kmoore7_at_jcpenney.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:49:30 -0800

Here the the answer to my own question. This is the response from Oracle support about how datafiles are allocated to channels. The manual approach means explicitly specifying which datafiles go with which channels. I need to look at this further, because what happens when you add a datafile and forget to add it to the RMAN script. It should still get backed up, because it's a full backup.

Keith

> You are right. Datafiles are assigned randomly to channels when backup
database and you cannot predict
> the way they are assigned. So, as you have stated, the only way is manual
approach which you already know.
> The same algorithm is used in most recent releases.

> My condolences on 8.0.5, you should patch to 8.0.5.1 for better a much
> better rman.
>
> I think that every channel is used for each datafile. When one datafile
has
> been completely backed up the channels are used for the next. This is
> empiracal thought, what I have observed. I have 2 channels going to one
> disk.
>
> Ruth

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Keith Moore INET: kmoore7_at_jcpenney.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).