Re: best case scenarios for export/import

From: Bill Buchan <wbuchan_at_uk.intasys.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 08:09:12 -0800

Hi,

That doesn't sound particularly healthy to me. Depends what you're running on I guess. We have a nightly batch job which does an import on 8.1.7, rather weedy 933MHz Intel, 50Mb SGA, 4 x SCSI disk Linux box. The dump file is 4.0Gb which turns out to be about 6Gb data, 1Gb indexes. It takes 3 hours, including all the index creation, and I've not even bothered trying to tune it *at all* (ie. default import parameters) because the window available for it is about 14 hours.

One thing to take care over with indexes=n is that this is does not disable the creation of constraint indexes (ie. Primary Key, Unique). You may need to adjust the sort_area_size for these (however, I've not bothered as I still have 11 hours of spare window). When I do need to do this, I bounce the instance and set the sort_area_size instance wide - maybe somebody can suggest a better way of doing it just for the import?

I guess your next step is to monitor the import itself and look at the wait events to see if something is obviously amiss.

Author: Bill Buchan
  INET: wbuchan_at_uk.intasys.com