performance comparision between LMT and DMT

From: Guang Mei <zlmei_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 20:13:59 -0800

Hi:

We have several oracle 8173 dbs on Solaris 2.8. Recently I was planning to move all dictionary managered tablespace to locally-managered tablespace
(except SYSTEM ts), because there are many advantages using lmt as I read.
Today I did the following on a test db and here is what I did and found:

  1. create a new locally-managered tablespace (8 files, each with 2048M in size), uniform extent 500K 2, cretae a temp tablespace (LMT) with tempfile (4 files, each 2000M in size), uniform extent 2M, very quick to create.
  2. drop an old dmt wich holds data for a schema (say user "SCH")
  3. alter user SCH to set the default ts and temporary ts to tbs I created in step 1 and 2
  4. run imp to import schema SCH from dump file.

The import run successfully and the whole time was 5 hours and 40 minutes. This is about 35 minutes longer than the time it took last week!

The only thing different was that the old tbs were NOT lmt, the dump file are basically the same, not much data change and there is no other stuff running on the machine. So my question is that if this is normal or I miss something here? Another questions is that from your experience how much improvement in terms of performance did you see after you convert dmt to lmt?

TIA Guang Mei

guangmei_at_yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/guangmei/

MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_advancedjmf_3mf
Author: Guang Mei
  INET: zlmei_at_hotmail.com