How do I find Oracle's product roadmap?

From: Jeremy Pulcifer <Jeremy.Pulcifer_at_kadiri.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 13:05:27 -0800

I'm back in a development house that is focused on Oracle development, along with J2EE and various other strains. I've become (by default) the resident guru for PL/SQL development and technical implementation support for our professional services group, and as such I've been trying to make sure that the product and utilities that we deploy are going to be supportable going forward as best as possible.

Here's my problem: A coupla years ago I heard from someone that Oracle had plans to phase out PL/SQL, gradually moving folks to Java or other languages to handle triggers, custom functions, etc. I could swear that at the time there was evidence presented that version 10 of Oracle would not contain PL/SQL; however I can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.

Soooo... where can I glean information about what technologies Oracle plans to support in the future? Of course I expect that to be a constantly moving target, but Oracle 10 can't be that far away, and I'd rather replace PL/SQL on my own terms instead of having to either turn away customers or spend a 720-hour stretch hooked up to the caffeine IV porting code ;-)

Author: Jeremy Pulcifer
  INET: Jeremy.Pulcifer_at_kadiri.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Dec 19 2002 - 15:05:27 CST