Re: Oracle and Peoplesoft

From: <John.Dailey_at_ing-fsi-na.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:34:30 -0800

I would agree with Joan - we spend lots of time refreshing databases here. We were responsible for all of the application servers, web servers, process schedulers, etc. until a technical architecture team was formed. That has helped tremendously since my team can concentrate on the Oracle side. We have a very large Peoplesoft Financials environment here (along with HR and budgets) so we have lots to keep busy with and opportunities to use additional Oracle functionality (we have a large replicated environment, use lots of partitioning, etc) . I would also recommend you at least take a PeopleTools course or one of the administration courses mentioned by Joan so you understand how Peoplesoft stores and uses metadata. As far as book recommendations the only decent book that I have is the "Peoplesoft Administrator's Guide" by Darrell Bilbrey which is good for someone new to Peoplesoft. We really do most of the normal functions that any DBA would do regardless of Peoplesoft. Database still has to be backed up, tuned, and maintained like any other Oracle database - I consider myself to be an Oracle/Peoplesoft DBA, not a Peoplesoft/Oracle DBA if that helps you any.

You will also learn to hate PS Query if your users have ad-hoc query access. :-)

John Dailey
Oracle DBA
ING Americas - Application Services
Atlanta, GA

                      "Joan Hsieh"
                      <joan.hsieh_at_tufts        To:       "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      .edu>                    cc:       (bcc: John Dailey/NAC/ING-FSI-NA)
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Oracle and Peoplesoft
                      root_at_fatcity.com

                      12/19/2002 09:45
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

Hi Sumathy,

It is not too much different from oracle peoplesoft and regular dba. Except you have to know more about peoplesoft components, peoplesoft application server, process schedular, web server,weblogic.. there are some peoplesoft courses I am highly recommend you to take, "Configuration and Administration" " Data Management Tools" and another one " peoplesoft server administration on Unix/Oracle". They has a website just like metlink. you need a customer id to access it. I feel like as long as peoplesoft infrastucture setup correctly in the beginning. It save a lot of time to troubleshoot later. As a oracle/peoplesoft dba, you have to constantly deal with upgrade poeplesoft tools, application, oracle. so clone the production database is major thing to do. we are constantly refresh testing databases from production. so automate those scripts are very helpful.

Joan

"Panicker, Thankam S." wrote:

> How different is an Oracle Peoplesoft database from a regular database?
Or
> in other words what all extra tasks
> does an Oracle Peoplesoft DBA do? How easy/difficult is it for a an
Oracle

Author: Joan Hsieh
  INET: joan.hsieh_at_tufts.edu

  INET: John.Dailey_at_ing-fsi-na.com