Re: Win2K Mount Points

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:04:16 -0800

Nigel,

> Finally, as this is my first post to the list, perhaps I should
introduce
> myself as a lurker(!):

Congratulations on your change in status!

RE the mount points: I'm still fairly OS illiterate with many features of NT/Win2k. Do you have a good URL that would explain the use of mount points?

Sorry for not being much help on this topic, but thanks for sharing your experiences.

Jared

Nigel Cemm <n.cemm_at_dial.pipex.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 12/17/2002 03:39 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Win2K Mount Points

Hello,

I have been tasked to upgrade an existing Openserver 5 / 7.3.4 installation to
a Win2K / 8.1.7 installation. The hardware is an IBM 8500R 8-way with 4GB main
memory and 32 mirrored pairs.

Under Unix it is simple to mount each filesystem at an appropriate mount point.
However, the traditional method of using drive letters in Windows is somewhat
limited by the number of available letters. The obvious solution with NTFS5 is
to use mount points - which is what I have done. I have a directory located in
$ORACLE_BASE under which I have mounted 25 of the mirrored pairs, i.e. all of
the filesystems that will be used exclusively by Oracle

Currently, the Openserver installation is still live and I am configuring the
Win2K installation on identical h/w for a period of testing. Whilst I have had
not had any issues with using NTFS5 mount points, I have been scratting around
trying to find real-world experience of such a configuration. The official

Oracle line (via an iTAR that I filed) is that as the base OS is fully supported, i.e. supported without certain features being excluded, the use of
mount points is okay. However, should I observe any issues with such a configuration then any queries should be directed to Microsoft.

The response is fair enough, I guess, but it didn't provide what I was asking
for. Therefore, I would like to ask the wider audience if they have any experience of such a configuration, i.e. any known issues with NTFS5 mount

points in general, the number that is "safe" to use beneath a base directory,
recovery issues etc.

I should point out that the application data that is stored in the database is
roughly 80% static and 20% "hot" and in the ideal world the static data could
be stored on a smaller number of larger arrays to allow the h/w to do most of
the load balancing. However, I have no say in h/w matters so this isn't really
an option for me.

Finally, as this is my first post to the list, perhaps I should introduce myself as a lurker(!): I have enjoyed following the various discussion threads
on a daily basis. The collaboration of people helping each other with common
issues and the willingness to share expertise etc makes ORACLE-L a powerful
resource.

Many thanks.

---
nigel.