Re: career questions

From: Peter Barnett <regdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 07:45:05 -0800

I have gone the consulting route three times in my career. Here are some observations in no particular order of importance.

Solo is a tough way to go. You have to find the business and do the work. Either, done right is a full time job.

In spite of the fact that as professionals we place a lot of weight on technical expertise, the people that hire you frequently do not know how to evaluate your skills. Being able to fit into their comfort zone is frequently more important than abilities.

If you can consistently make your deadlines you are going to build a solid reputation. People who hire you like on time, on budget performance.

Do not be too intimidated by a specific set of required skills. My first Oracle gig resulted from a conflict between a director and an IT manager. The Director knew exactly what she wanted and the IT manager was sending her project to the back of the bus. After the project was successfully implemented, 18 months later, I asked her why she had hired me over all of the people with Oracle experience. Her answer was simple, "You listened to me." She knew what she wanted and she felt I could deliver it for her. That lucky assignment opened a whole new career for me.

Integrity matters. Your word does need to be your bond as a consultant.

If you work for a consulting firm, make sure that they can deliver the kind of assignments that are good for your career. I worked at one for about six months in a variety of different assignments. Some Oracle, some not. When I complained about the lack of consistent Oracle work, one of my coworkers laid it all out for me, "This is a good place to work if you are a money whore." I wanted my life defined by more than money so I left.

My two cents worth and you get what you pay for.

Pete Barnett
Lead Database Administrator
The Regence Group
pnbarne_at_regence.com