RE: Capacity Planning -- Expecting the DB growth !!!

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 14:01:28 -0800

One problem I've run into when doing some rudimentary cap planning is that much of it is directly related to how much business our Sales force predicts we will generate next year. I've looked at the growth of our general ledger tables and our sales order tables and it's mostly driven by the amount of business we do (we manufacture printing controls). So, some insight into the business by Sales or other company execs may help, too.

That, and a fudge factor. One of our larger audit tables had 300% more rows in 2000 than in 1999 because of planned inventory moves used in implementing "lean manufacturing". No way I could have predicted that one, but a fudge factor softened the blow a bit.

Just my $.02 (before taxes),
Rich

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com