RE: Capacity Planning -- Expecting the DB growth !!!

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 06:23:50 -0800

Reddy - Step number one is to immediately begin collecting size data. For most sites, storing a weekly count of the number of rows in each table is sufficient. Usually combine it with regular ANALYZE TABLE or DBMS_STATS executions. This will be your basis for making projections.

   Then get to know the factors that influence the growth. You mention events such as holidays as an example. But some sites are affected more by the holidays than others. If your developers are adding features to the database, that will influence growth. I have one application whose busy season is the springtime.

   As far as automation, just having the information in a database table allows you to perform forecasts just using simple SQL commands. In my experience the problem with total automation is that the questions keep changing. Periodically you will be asked a question related to capacity, but the question is usually one you haven't thought of before, but with a base of history you can figure out the answer.

   Inevitably Pareto's Rule (a.k.a. 80/20 principle) plays heavily. Just a handful of tables will contain most of your growth. If you can predict those correctly, the rest falls into place. That table that holds 10 rows and just might grow to 12 rows in 2 years isn't going to be your challenge.

   Many packages that monitor performance over the long term also perform capacity planning. I think OEM has this capability. Just go to www.google.com <http://www.google.com> and enter "Oracle Capacity Planning", and you will see many interesting sites.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Dec 17 2002 - 08:23:50 CST