Cross version SNAPSHOT/MATERIALIZED VIEW replication

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 12:14:13 -0800

Our current master is 8.1.6.3 as is our Snapshot database. However, at some time in the future our master database will be upgraded to 8.1.7.4.

Our options are to stay with 8.1.6.3, upgrade to 8.1.7.4, or upgrade to 9.1.2. We can do this either before or after the master's upgrade.

So our possible configurations are:

MASTER            SLAVE
8.1.6.3                 8.1.7.4
8.1.6.3                 9.1.2
8.1.7.4                 8.1.6.3
8.1.7.4                 8.1.7.4
8.1.7.4                 9.1.2

These will be upgrades in place.

Also, our customers are using a variety of methods to access the snapshot database including SQLNet and ODBC.

I don't think that the OS environments are an issue but the master is on a DEC/Alpha UNIX box and the snapshot is on a Win2K box.

Has anybody done this (upgrades in place for any of the master/slave pairs) and, if so, did you run into any issues?

Any input will be gratefully accepted in the spirit in which it is offered. We are RTing the FMs for all they're worth but the upgrade in place is treated as a non-issue (which I suspect is not the case) and I'd rather hear from someone who has actually done it.

TIA

Author: Thomas Day
  INET: tday6_at_csc.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 16 2002 - 14:14:13 CST