Parallel degree on tables and indexes

From: <Govind.Arumugam_at_alltel.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 07:38:52 -0800

List,

Is there a 'magic' number for num_rows that you use in order to set the parallel degree on tables and/or indexes?

We were told to use parallel degree of 4 for tables having more than 100,000 rows. Some of the on-line queries are running in parallel mode thus making batch jobs to go serial for lack of parallel slaves.

Upon a closer look, we see tables/indexes having millions of rows having parallel degree set at 1 and tables/indexes having fewer than 100,000 rows are having parallel degree set at 4 etc.,

Is there a number for num_rows that you have been very successful to determine the parallel degree? Some of the indexes were re-built using parallel degree of 3 to reduce the 'create index' time but were not changed back to 'noparallel' recently and I need to answer these questions.

TIA. Govind

Author: <Govind.Arumugam_at_alltel.com
  INET: Govind.Arumugam_at_alltel.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 16 2002 - 09:38:52 CST