RE: career questions

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:38:07 -0800

Maria - I think John has offered some very good advice. Often DBA tasks can be split into development support tasks and production support tasks. At larger sites these may be separate jobs.

   When you say you are thinking of part-time DBA work, are you thinking of marketing yourself, or seeking a consulting firm to represent you? If you market yourself, you face a lot of the same business issues that a small business owner faces, like marketing, sales, how to price your services, bill collection, etc.

   Would you be more inclined to take on a development project (it would be hard to make yourself available to support developers if you are part-time), or providing production DBA support?

   I agree with John that you will learn your strong and weak areas and will gain exposure to a wider range of learning areas.

Author: Maria Aurora VT de la Vega
  INET: mtdelavega_at_pse.org.ph

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Dec 13 2002 - 10:38:07 CST