RE: Purging Managed Standby Database Archive Logs

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:48:47 -0800

Hi John,

Keeping things simple sometimes complicates things when they go haywire. I thought about the simple shotgun approach but wanted something a little more robust and I didn't want to risk deleting an archive log that hadn't been applied and then having to go through the hassle of finding in on tape. (We use RMAN on production server and "archivelog all delete input" every night.) A lot of logs could be zapped if the standby got hosed just before a 3-4 day weekend. I want to avoid having to rebuild the standby but I don't want to keep multiple days worth of logs around either. I just want to remove the logs that are no longer needed and the archive info is in the data dictionary views so why not use it?

Well after waiting on the list a while nobody did my job for me so I got busy and rolled my own... :-)

#!/usr/bin/ksh

# File: sb_log_maint.sh ... Steve Orr, 12/12/2002
# Purpose: Purge standby database archive logs which have been applied.
ORAUBIN="/u01/app/oracle/bin"
SEQ_FILE="$ORAUBIN/last_purged_seqno.txt" LAST_PURGED_SEQ=`cat ${SEQ_FILE}`

getAppliedLogs()
{
sqlplus -s "/ as sysdba" @$ORAUBIN/login.sql <<EOSQL set feed off pages 0 echo off wra off
select sequence#, trim(name) from v\$archived_log where sequence# > $LAST_PURGED_SEQ
and archived='YES'
order by sequence# ;
exit
EOSQL
}

getAppliedLogs | while read SEQNO FNAME
do

   echo "Removing file $FNAME"
   echo $SEQNO > $SEQ_FILE
   if [ -f $FNAME ]; then

      rm $FNAME
   fi
done

...it seems to work and I wasn't in a PERLescent mood.

Steve Orr
Bozeman, Montana

Author: John Carlson
  INET: jcarlson_at_CJ.COM