RE: Increase size of data files and rollback segments

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:58:56 -0800

Yechiel,

Thanks for pointing out the potential issues with autoextending onto an exact 4 Gb boundary (as I forgot to include them).

Reading the bug you referenced (at http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=BUG&p_id=1668488) it says:
"...
Does not reproduce on 8.1.7 Sun Solaris. ...
Rediscovery Information: Resize a datafile file to [exactly] 4GB, 8G, 12G, 16G, etc. After resizing a datafile to 4G, alter system checkpoint was failing with ORA-27069 ...
This fix is in 8.1.7.4.1 and 9.0.1.4.0 but not in 9.2.0.2.1"

I am on 8.1.7.4.5 and so am not affected by this issue - I can't remember the version the original poster was on.

Anyone using 817x may also want to check note 120607.1 (http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=120607.1) titled "Support Status and Alerts for Oracle8i Release 3 (8.1.7.X)" for information on this and other issues.

This refers you to Note 148894.1 (http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/showdoc?db=Not&id=148894.1) titled "ALERT: Problems with Datafile AUTOEXTEND/RESIZE on Oracle8i on NT/2000 Platforms"

This contains the information "... A fix is now available in 8.1.7.1.4 <Bug.1823173> and will be included in 8.1.7.3 <BUG.1794199> ..."

For general Oracle information on 2Gb files see http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_id=62427.1&p_database_id=NOT titled "2Gb or not 2Gb - File limits in Oracle". This contains links to other notes with Port specific information.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Bruce Reardon

Author: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY)
  INET: Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au