RE: Daily job to populate table in another database

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 06:49:02 -0800

Catherine,
No, SNPs, per-se don't degrade the performance. What would be at issue is what job you are actually running. Treat it just like any user session connecting
to the database and firing off the procedure/package/sql-statements defined in the job.

I am using DBMS_JOB in 8.1.7.2 and 8.1.7.3 instances. The only problem I've had is with a job to sync an Intermedia Index in Oracle iFS through DBMS_JOB
-- there seems to be a memory leak [this is 8.1.7.3 on Solaris]. I had a TAR open for a couple of weeks. The analyst agreed with me that the issue would be more of an Intermedia Index problem rather than DBMS_JOB. Once the list of docs pending indexing (or rather index-syncing) grew too large, the SNP process would crash frequently. I changed the Index DEFAULT_MEMORY and MAX_MEMORY parameters and began running optimize frequently on the Intermedia Index and the DBMS_JOB stopped dying -- but it's process size kept growing slowly. I know manually kill the SNP process in that particular instance every few days [Oracle Development, as I had a Bug logged for this issue, wanted me to upgrade to 8.1.7.4 and try to simulate the issue. I didn't have time and the resources to clone and upgrade my 35GB production
database to 8.1.7.4 and left it at that. The Support analyst agreed that as my "workaround" [increasing the Intermedia Index Memory parameters and periodically killing the SNP process] was working he could close the TAR and Bug.

Hemant

Hemant K Chitale
My web site page is : http://hkchital.tripod.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale