Re: Increase size of data files and rollback segments

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 02:54:39 -0800

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Yechiel Adar wrote:

> Do not allow your datafile to autoextend across 4GB boundary.
> There is a bug that cause this datafile to be unusable.

I think the 4Gb limit is confined to a handfull of older operating system versions or older Oracle versions. For about the last five years I have been accustomed to creating 16Gb datafiles with no problem.

Imagine trying to build a 5 terabyte data warehouse out of 1900Mb datafiles! It would require 2760 datafiles!

Can anyone confirm that this is no longer a problem after certain versions of O/S and Oracle?

Note another mean bug (8.1.6.2 / HP-UX 64-bit) where Oracle lets you specify no size for a datafile, then adds it to the controlfile /data dictionary in a way that makes it look like it has a ton (like a terabyte) of free space. The datafile can't be resized or offline dropped, and the tablespace must be dropped and recreated (unless you get the patch). Let one segment extend into there and watch the ORA-600s.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Jeremiah Wilton INET: jwilton_at_speakeasy.net Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).