Installing 8.1.7.3 along with 8.1.6.0

From: Venu Gopal Andem <venu.andem_at_wipro.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:33:46 -0800

Hi,
We have 8.1.6.0 installed on a NT server. There are 2 databases(development of size 120MB when FULL export is done) already running on the system. Now our requirement is to install 8.1.7.4 and bring one of the DB into this environment.

My plan of approach is as follows, any feedback, comments are most welcome:
1) Shutdown all the existing databases
2) Install 8.1.7.3 from cd's and apply 8.1.7.4 patch to bring it to ver 8.1.7.4

3) Bring the 8.1.6 databases UP
4) Create a new database in 8.1.7.4 environment
5) Export the 8.1.6 database and import it into 8.1.7.4's database (I
decided to do it with export as the DB was not very large) 6) Update the devolopers with the new DB's SID and etc. details 7) Drop the 8.1.6 database once devolopers are satisfied with the 8.1.7.4 database

Questions:
1) Are there any ramifications of installing 8.1.7.4 engine on the same system where 8.1.6 is already present? Obviously in a different home. 2) Database migration in this scenario is done using EXP/IMP. Is this ok? Why? Any better alternatives?
3) Do I have to really shutdown the databases and other oracle services before starting the 8.1.7.4 installation?

Thanks,
Venu G.

Author: Venu Gopal Andem
  INET: venu.andem_at_wipro.com