OAS Mac IE with secure server

From: Pat Hildebrand <pat_at_ssc.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 13:23:58 -0800

I have been trying to track down the source of a problem with an application here where I can't do much more than search the web - I have seen so many things talking about bugs that are security holes in IE that I'm ready to say "let's not let anyone us IE" but that is not an option. At this point I'm wondering if anyone has encountered anything like this.

The situation is as follows:

The application is written in PL/SQL with some JavaScript. The Oracle is 8.1.6 on solaris 7. It is OAS 4 (I know it is old and that probably doesn't help) using secure Appache.

Of late we have been receiving complaints that going back either from the browser toolbar or a button in the application using onClick="window.history.back()" does not work with IE on a Mac
(various versions of IE and the OS). The only Mac I have access to
works just fine, but it is old and although we put on the latest IE we could that is still old give the old OS.

I found a setting on a Win2K version of IE that can cause the same failure. I couldn't find anything corresponding on the Mac. Now to complicate things, I asked someone else on campus who uses a Mac and has access to our application to look for the corresponding setting on his Mac. His response was something of a surprise. He can't find anything like the setting I found under Win2k and while he does have the problems when accessing our application, he doesn't for any other applications using a secure server. He also has a lot of whitespace at the top of the first page with the Mac that he doesn't have with a Windows machine.

One other thing that may or may not be relevant. The error raised is one of the negative ones that have plagued us from time to time and the rest of the message is for the entry page (minus the token) rather than whatever page one is trying to get to - certainly sounds like not everything is being cached.

We have not heard of anyone having this problem with Netscape (any OS) and with the setting I found, it appears that it is just an IE configuration problem if it occurs under Windows with IE. As a result, I thought it was a Mac IE configuration problem. Now, it would appear that Mac IE doesn't have the ability to be configured on this. Expanding the search for a cause I have to include OAS which is why I'm asking here. If it is not an OAS configuration problem am sorry for what could turn out to be an off topic post.

                      Pat
Author: Pat Hildebrand
  INET: pat_at_ssc.upenn.edu