RE: To_Number

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 08:29:25 -0800

It's obvious they are using Oracle as a glorified fileing system.

JD Edwards does the same thing. They create tables with columns with things like Number(38). they store the number with no decimal points. the "middle layer" has the definition of the column. so all applications have to call the middle layer to get the data and convert it to the correct decimal places before it can be acted upon by the application.

I think their theory was to keep the JD Edwards system totally RDBMS neutral - they could switch out any backend that they wanted to.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Jeff Herrick
  INET: jherrick_at_igs.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Thomas Day INET: tday6_at_csc.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Mercadante, Thomas F INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services