Re: To_Number

From: <JApplewhite_at_austin.isd.tenet.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 13:05:07 -0800

Laura,

Are those really zeros in $34,000.05 or are they letter Os? If so use Replace. (Beware of letter l being used instead of numeral 1 as well.)

Any leading or trailing spaces? If so use Trim(unit_cost).

Just a couple of quick suggestions.

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator
Austin Independent School District
Austin, Texas
512.414.9715 (wk)
512.935.5929 (pager)
JApplewhite_at_austin.isd.tenet.edu

                    "Burton, Laura
                    L."                  To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                    <BurtonL_at_prism        <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    plus.com>            cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     To_Number
                    root_at_fatcity.c
                    om

                    12/05/2002
                    01:24 PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

I have a table which contains a Unit_Cost varchar2(16) which contains $34,000.05. I can enter select to_number('$34,990.08','$999,999,999.99') from dual; and the results is 34990.08. However when I enter select to_number(unit_cost,'$999,999,999.99') from elas.qdr I get ora-01722: invalid number.

Is there any other way to do this? I am trying to add a varchar2 field that contains $ and commas. I thought the to_number function would convert the data to a number field.

Thanks,

Laura

  INET: JApplewhite_at_austin.isd.tenet.edu

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Dec 05 2002 - 15:05:07 CST