Re: DB corruption question

From: Adriano Freire <adriano.f_at_uol.com.br>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 11:44:48 -0800

Try, recreate the controlfile

  With Oracle 8.1.7, Solaris 8 OS.

  I have a shared storage device for storing all my datafiles, control files, redo logs, archive logs, etc.. everything except for the ORACLE_HOME and Oracle binaries.

  If I have the file system and database mounted to one machine, and have a fully open, available database running. What happens if someone else tries to mount the same files to another machine and start up the same database on it. (No OPS or RAC involved)

  I get the following error on the on the second machine...

  SVRMGR> ORACLE instance started.
  Total System Global Area 272359584 bytes   Fixed Size 73888 bytes
  Variable Size 88678400 bytes
  Database Buffers 183427072 bytes
  Redo Buffers 180224 bytes
  Database mounted.
  SVRMGR> ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors

  ORA-01122: database file 1 failed verification check
  ORA-01110: data file 1: '/fs1/oradata/db1/system01_raw.dbf'
  ORA-01207: file is more recent than controlfile - old controlfile
  SVRMGR> alter database open
  *
  ORA-01122: database file 1 failed verification check
  ORA-01110: data file 1: '/fs1/oradata/db1/system01_raw.dbf'
  ORA-01207: file is more recent than controlfile - old controlfile
  SVRMGR> Server Manager complete.
  EXITING 1
  Unable to start Oracle instance

  Will this corrupt the database? Will it harm/corrupt the original instance? What happens if someone tries to recover it at this point? Does it make a difference whether its a RAW or cooked file system?

  Any help is appreciated!

  Nick

Author: Adriano Freire
  INET: adriano.f_at_uol.com.br

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Dec 05 2002 - 13:44:48 CST